Send Booking Request
Trip at a Glance
Opotiki, North Island, New Zealand
Nature, Ocean Tour, Sightseeing, Walking Tour
NZ$30 NZD per person
Generally allow 1-2 hours.
Departure Day(s) and Time(s)
Daily on request.
At or near 16 Wharf Str., Opotiki, New Zealand.
Guiding, reef block, cement and art materials are all included. Groups discounts are available (10 or more).
Sheltered decks and toilet are available at The Wharf Hub. Relaxing deck with tea/coffee/water available for mini Tour bus drivers.
- Our starting point is the long Youth art mural and historic storyboard set on the wharf, as catalysts to sharing fishing experiences of past.
- Bringing in accounts of current efforts to restore fisheries around the World. Strengths and weaknesses. Use of artificial reefs.
- Take a guided walkabout through varied exhibits in the gardens of The Wharf Hub that depict the principles used in marine enhancement.
- Using the REAF four part symbol, plan and collect the parts to put into your very own personalized cement reef block module.
- Your chance to 'connect' and contribute to the community reef through practical art on a reef block, later to be incorporated in reef deployments.
This short voyage sets the background on how we can all help create marine abundance. It is ideal for those staying overnight at The Wharf Hub who want to know about the eclectic exhibits seen about the property. It is also suited to those passing through Opotiki who want to briefly know about our unique marine life program.
This short one to two-hour tour is our foundation overview to both Zeand Fishing and reef building workshop. Starting atop the historic Opotiki wharf and river stopbanks, it moves onto “The Wharf Hub” property for a simple reef module crafting activity (materials supplied and inclusive). We use registered designs that are heavy enough to be self-anchoring on the seabed yet light enough for two people to lift and deploy from a recreational fishing craft. The reef is built up by deploying modules down a guideline made from organic sisal rope.
Your adventure awaits!
REAF (sea ranching) and The Wharf Hub (accommodation) co-exist on the same property in Opotiki, Eastern Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. Established in 2007, its a unique venture to promote the concept of mankind working with nature to create abundance. If the sea dies, then a part of us dies too. Fish stocks decline despite best scientific management. Could there be other factors at work? Experience our interactive workshops and decide for your self.
Thank you for submitting a review. It will be published shortly.