Street Art, Lower East Side
Trip at a Glance
New York City, New York, United States
Heritage-History Tour, Sightseeing, Walking Tour
$30 USD per person
about 2 miles
Departure Day(s) and Time(s)
typically begins weekend days at 1pm
26 Canal St. (10002)
- We'll see some of the best art on the streets, both traditional graffiti and innovative new street art.
- Both artist-run galleries and blue-chip spaces show off a wide range of traditional fine art. World famous artists and young art school grads are all in the mix.
- There are chances to mingle with gallery owners or artists on every tour. And there's an option to end at a fabulous neighborhood bar surrounded by the art stars of the New York street art scene.
- Historical context is built into the tour. We begin across the street from the first city-owned playground in the U.S. The tour winds through streets and alleys filled with reminders of thick and gritty history.
- We always listen to music relevant to the art and neighborhood during the tour, and we often include a complimentary tour-appropriate snack.
Discover how the chaos of the Lower East Side has shaped—and continues to shape—the destiny of the art world. There’s an incredible amount of street art in New York City whether Banksy (English), Invader (French), or Icy & Sot (Iranian) have “residencies” here or not. See and learn who and what inspired today’s fascinating mix of paste-ups, stencils, memorials, tags and throws. Get the context behind Banksy’s October street art blitz right here in the streets where hip hop and graffiti began. Besides the latest street art, we’ll explore earlier art in and about the streets by talking early photography and painting. We’ll stop into a half dozen art galleries along the way, comparing and contrasting street art and graffiti techniques with art on the gallery walls. Around us, historic tenements mix with bold architectural innovation in this eclectic and ever-evolving neighborhood. We’ll end at the edge of the East Village between two of NYC’s most famous street art sites. No tour is ever the same. In addition to the aforementioned street artists and samplings from contemporary art stars, we typically find Shepard Fairey, Stikman, LEE, Kenny Scharf, Nick Walker, Hanksy, C215, and COPE pieces along the route.
Thank you for submitting a review. It will be published shortly.