Yakushima - Mocchumu Coastal Mountain Hike
Send Booking Request
Trip at a Glance
Yakushima, Kagoshima, Japan
Adventure, Hiking Trekking
From: ¥15,000 JPY per person
Departure Day(s) and Time(s)
Departure time depends on your hotel location
Bento Lunch / Transportation / Insurance
I can arrange hiking gear rental as well as good accommodation and transportation to/from Yakushima.
- From the summit the view is thrilling. Directly 900 metres below is Onoaida. You can see right along the coastline and far out to sea.
- The halfway point is marked by a 3,000 year old cryptomeria tree called Bandai sugi.
- There are some exciting rope climbs with the last one to the summit being the best.
- The summit is one of the best places on the island to eat your lunch!
- This hike is a good workout for the fitness enthusiast.
Mocchomudake is the lowest mountain on our tour menu, but it is probably the most strenuous. There is little respite from start to finish and during the last 30 minutes there are a number of ropes to climb, including the final rope-climb where nerve as well as upper-body strength are necessary. The good news is that the ascent can be achieved within only a few hours and the descent is quite quick (but be prepared for jelly-knees!). From the top of the mountain the view is thrilling. Directly 900 metres below is Onoaida. You can see right along the coastline and far out to sea. The views are so good that you have to tear yourself off the top to make the journey back down.
Your adventure awaits!
Go! Yakushima aims to offer exciting and informative tours around Yakushima. The tours will leave the visitor with a very good understanding of why Yakushima is a unique island and why it deservedly holds a World Heritage status.
Thank you for submitting a review. It will be published shortly.