Trip at a Glance
Opotiki, North Island, New Zealand
PriceNZ$980 NZD per person
Departure Day(s) and Time(s)
The Wharf Hub, Opotiki, New Zealand
All meals, snacks, drinks and accommodation at The Wharf Hub, guiding, bikes, kayaks, fishing gear, all materials used in reef module construction, deployment certification.
Being practically involved with sea ranching (reef building) is a 'do good, feel good' experience often leading to a sense of 'marine oneness' equating to astronauts 'overview' experience'.
- Walkabout, introducing some highlights of local history, Motu Trails, dunes, cycle way and location of Community Reef.
- A presentation giving an overview of the background to reef building around the world and it's effectiveness.
- A practical exercise in applying principles used in reef building Kiwi style, including Maori Kaitiakitanga perspectives.
- Physical hands on effort to build a personalized reef module for deployment together with deployment techniques.
- Mold stripping and module curing. Charting and certification of modules made and donated to Community Reef.