Trip at a Glance
Lake Superior Adventures
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Boat Tour, Sightseeing
Price$1395 USD per trip
40 Nautical miles
Departure Day(s) and Time(s)
Thunder Bay, Ontario Prince Arthurs Landing Marina Pier 3
Sailboat and diesel fuel, full cooking amenities, exterior gas BBQ, interior gas oven and three burner stove. Onboard overnight accommodations for 5 persons. Two in a double berth in the bow cabin, two singles in salon area - or a double and single in salon area. Under sheets and pillows and towels are supplied - guests are encouraged to bring a sleeping bag. Also included is ample cut firewood for the island sauna and campfire. Trip price is total for up to 5 guests. All taxes included.
Provisions not included in the trip unless requested. When provisioning for yourself we suggest you call to inquire about the boats amenities. Remember to bring enough to feed your guide/captain.
- We begin by sailing out past the Thunder Bay harbour where you will view the massive grain elevators the historical life blood of the port, the man made seawall that protects the port from the ravages of the Big Lake, into the open waters of the Bay of Thunder Bay. Sails raised, experience using the wind to gently propel you along, a feeling you won't soon forget. Calm and relaxing, quiet yet invigorating. Its hard to describe.
- To the east across the bay 16 miles away is the natural land formation of the Sleeping Giant. Watch as it transforms from the Sleeping Giant tot he Sleeping Giantess. We continue heading south along the coast, passing between Pie Island and the mainland. Here will be the first opportunity to see out across the lake to Isle Royale - some 30 miles in the distance. Perhaps we will also be met with some rougher waters as the protection of the inner bay starts to open up to legend of Superior.
- After about 3-5 hours we should be arriving at Thompson Island. Its easy to see why it is such a popular destination. A beautiful dock safely tucked into an all weather harbour, complete with a traditional Finnish wood sauna. An experience not to be missed - heat up - jump in Superior to cool off - repeat... Combine the days sailing with the evening sauna and we guarantee you will sleep like a baby, though not before a scrumptious BBQ meal, maybe even fresh fish that you caught earlier in the day.
- The night sky. Far from the city's lights you will see the milky way, shooting stars, manmade satellites, and if the conditions are right the northern lights.
- The trails on Thompson Island lead up and around to lookouts - you can see clear across to Isle Royale, or out to where the lake meets the horizon, too big to see the other side. There are stone beaches, rocky shorelines, cliffs and native american Pukaskwa pits to discover.