Oradea, the capital city of Bihor County, is one of the important economic, social and cultural centers of northwestern Romania, holding on to these characteristics throughout its history. The city is nestled among hills that divide and unify the Crisana Plains and the hill-like limits of the Apuseni Mountains in a harmonious way. Located on the Crisul Repede River, which divides the city into almost equal halves, it is the gateway to Central Europe and Western Europe. Located about 10 km from Bors, the biggest border point on the western border, Oradea ranks 10th in size out of the Romanian cities.
Oradea Fortress is an architectural monument in Romania, one of the few functional castles till now. They say that the city could not be conquered because of the vast underground network of links with the outside. The dike with water of the fortress was filled in case of siege with thermal water, through supplies, from Peta spring. Today, inside the fortress was founded the Department of Visual Arts, University of Oradea. The construction belongs to King Ladislau I who decided to build a monastery in honor of Virgin Mary, a place called Varad, chronicle painted in Vienna the cradle of the future Catholic bishopric. Around the old fortress, of an irregular shape, slightly oval, the new fortress was built of pentagonal shape, to protect the buildings inside and the settlements around.
Admire the Moskovits Miksa palace architecture, built in 1911 by architects the Vago brothers and the Poynar House architecture completed in 1907 by architect Sztarill Ferencz. You will see the Fuchsl palace, built in 1903 by architects Balint Zoltan and Jambor Lajos.
Some other architectural achievements include Adorjan House, built in 1903 by Komor Marcell and Jakab Dezso, the Apollo palace built in 1916 by Rimánoczy K, the Moon Church built in 1832 by Iacob Eder and the Rimanoczy palace built in 1905 by Rimánoczy Kálmán Sr. You may also want to see the Bazaar Building built in 1900 by Rimánoczy Kálmán Sr., Levay palace built in 1894 by Hanzlia and the Sztarill palace built in 1906 by Sztarill Ferencz.