Trip at a Glance
Owaka, South Island, New Zealand
Sightseeing, Walking Tour
2 Days, 3 Nights
Departure Day(s) and Time(s)
1st Nov - 1st May
Three nights accommodation, all meals, transport, guiding, DOC fees, and GST
This walk is for those of reasonable fitness - light packs only are needed. Be prepared for 6-7 hours walk per day.
- Guided walk through Catlins Coastal Rainforest Park beech forest.
- Private land which provides a variety of great views, historic features and rare wildlife.
- See rare native birds such as yellowhead (mohua) and rifleman (titipounamu) down the Catlins River Valley.
- Walk the old Catlins rail route over Puketiro saddle and down the Maclennan Valley to the coast at Papatowai.
- See Matai Falls and enjoy extensive forest, farmland and sea views.
Join this two-day Catlins Traverse Walk – a 30km guided walking tour through Catlins’ coastal rainforest Park beech forest and private land. You will get lots of opportunities to enjoy a variety of majestic views, historic features, and unique wildlife. You will spend each night at a comfortable Mohua Park cottage.
Your journey begins with a dinner with your hosts and other walkers. After breakfast the following morning, your tour guide will take you through the scenic Owaka Valley to the inland beech forest. In Catlins River Valley and the beech forest, there are lots of unique and rare native birds like yellowhead (mohua) and rifleman (titipounamu). The eco-cottages are located in a quiet forest setting and are private & luxurious, and offers great views. Your tour will end with a delicious home-cooked dinner in the dining room of the historic old house on the property.
On the second day, you will be walking along the old Catlins’ rail route over Puketiro saddle and down the Maclennan Valley to the coast at Papatowai. Enjoy Matai Falls and extensive forest, farmland, and sea views. The day ends with another gourmet dinner and cosy night.
Thank you for submitting a review. It will be published shortly.