Good evening traveler!
If you like to be scared, however, read on because GuideAdvisor is offering you the chance to be truly terrorized on one of two haunted tours around the world:
#1. On the Ghost Tour of Venice you’ll wander off the beaten track in this world-famous Italian city and explore canals and alleys learning all about the ghosts and mysteries within.
#2. On the Lost Souls of Gastown tour, you’ll venture into Vancouver’s gruesome history, learning all about the violence and horror that defined this frontier town in the Canadian West.
And as for the answers to which you seek here they are below:
I) What is Vancouver’s oldest unsolved murder?
- Madam Rudy who owned Gastown’s first bawdy house
- Notorious gold prospector John Bray
- Police constable John Stewart
The answer is 2. The year was 1898 and after a night of whiskey and cards at the saloon, John Bray staggered out onto the streets of Gastown. He never made it back to his hotel. Robbed and shot three times in the head, he wandered the streets for two delirious weeks before the bullets finally killed him.
II) In 1576, Venice was devastated by the plague and people thought vampires were behind the epidemic. The skeleton of a female vampire, with a brick on her mouth (to prevent her feasting on plague victims) was found:
- In a mass grave on Lazzaretto Nuovo Island, in the Venetian lagoon
- On a private grave under Saint Mark’s Basilica
- Inside one of the two marble lions next to the Basilica
The answer is 1. Lazzaretto Nuovo was Venice’s main quarantine station for more than three centuries.
The Fine Print
This contest is open to applicants who are of legal age of jurisdiction and who are 18 years of age at time of entry.
No purchase necessary to enter or claim prize. A purchase does not increase your chances of winning.
1. ELIGIBILITY: GuideAdvisor’s “Terror Tour Trivia Contest” (the “Contest”) is open to legal aged applicants as stated above. Officers, directors, employees and agents of Basecamp Global, GuideAdvisor (hereby interchangeably referred to as “the Sponsor”) and their respective affiliated companies, agencies, and members of the immediate families thereof (collectively, “the GuideAdvisor Affiliates”) are not eligible to participate. By entering the Contest, participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor, and the GuideAdvisor Affiliates, from any and all damages whether direct or indirect, which may be due to or arise out of participation in the Contest or any portion thereof, or the acceptance, use/misuse or possession of prizes. By participating, you agree to these Official Rules. The Contest is governed by Canadian law, is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and local laws and regulations.
2. HOW TO PARTICIPATE: During the Contest period, which starts October 9, 2014 at 9:01am Pacific Time (PT) and ends October 31, 2014 at 12:00 PT, enter the proper response of a question related to the city in which you would like to take the tour on the GuideAdvisor Facebook page and your name will automatically be entered. Also, you are encouraged to create a traveler account on www.guideadvisor.com by logging on to www.guideadvisor.com/join and entering a username, valid email address and password and clicking the “Join GuideAdvisor” button. Signing up is free of charge.
The chances of winning the prize depends on the number of applicants who answer the questions on GuideAdvisor’s contest Facebook page between the dates stipulated. The winner will be determined by random draw, drawn from the complete set of valid entries.
3. PRIZE: The prizes include four two-person gift certificates for the Lost Souls of Gastown tour and two two-person gift certificates for the Ghost Tour of Venice. (Does not include price of travel or accommodation .) The prize is non-transferable and cannot be substituted by the winner. GuideAdvisor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value in its sole discretion. Unclaimed or rejected prizes will not be awarded.
4. REDEEMING PRIZE: The winners will be notified via Facebook message within 48 hours of the contest close. Once notified, the potential winner must respond to the administrator of GuideAdvisor within 24-hours of notification with complete legal name and mailing address. All potential winners are subject to verification at the sole discretion of GuideAdvisor.
As part of the verification process, GuideAdvisor may require winner to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability and publicity release within specified time period, or the prize may be forfeited. Neither GuideAdvisor nor its agencies are responsible for lost, late, stolen, misdirected, delayed or damaged prizes. Before being declared a winner, each eligible participant will be required to correctly answer a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question.
5. GENERAL: All federal, provincial and local laws apply. By participating, entrants agree (i) to be bound by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements, and (ii) to be bound by the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. The Sponsor is not responsible for: (i) lost, late, misdirected, damaged, garbled or illegible entries; (ii) error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate transmission of or failure to receive entry information by the Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or any combination thereof; or (iii) any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right to permanently disqualify from this Contest any person it believes has violated these Official Rules. By accepting or participating in a prize, each winner irrevocably consents to the use of such winner’s name, likeness, image, voice, performance (in connection with interviews and other recordings), biographical information, and statements relating to the Contest or GuideAdvisor Affiliates, without further compensation, in all world-wide marketing, promotion, and publicity carried out in perpetuity by any of the GuideAdvisor Affiliates in connection with this Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest if any fraud, virus or other problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper play of the Contest, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. If Contest is terminated before the end date/time, Sponsor may determine the winner from all eligible entries received as of the termination date/time. If any such malfunction, error, disruption or similar damage occurs and impairs the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper play of the Contest, GuideAdvisor may, in its sole discretion, suspend or terminate the Contest by posting a notice at on www.guideadvisor.com.
6. DISCLAIMERS: Under no circumstances, including negligence, shall any of the Sponsor’s Affiliates be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death, resulting from participation in the Contest or acceptance, use or misuse of any prize. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event that the preceding release is determined by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or void for any reason, the entrant agrees that, by entering the Contest, (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action; (b) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorney’s fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses. Entrants hereby acknowledge that GuideAdvisor Affiliates have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied (including, but not limited to warranties of any kind concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize), in fact or in law, relative to any prize. The winner shall bear all risk of loss or damage to his/her prize after it has been delivered to such winner.